Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sweet Tweed

After all of our Spring Cleaning efforts here this year (it was massive, trust me) most of our dishcloths have migrated into the dishrag category. Some of them were quite new just a few weeks ago, but you'd never know it after they were used to clean out the fridge in the garage.

I was thinking to myself that it would be great if someone made dishcloths thicker and more sturdy. Then I decided to break out the 100% cotton yarn and be that someone. So the search for an interesting, textured-but-not-too-textured pattern ensued.
Then I found the tweed stitch texture. It seems perfectly suited to this application! The tweed stitch makes a very interesting and surprisingly flat and solid knit. It involves a multiple of 2 sts+1 and is worked as follows:
  • First Row (RS): K1 *yf, sl1p, yb, K1, repeat from * to end.
  • Second Row: P2 *yb, sl1p, yf, P1, repeat from * to last stitch, P1.
  • Repeat these two rows for as long as you like.
It makes a lovely woven pattern on one side (I think this is the right side, but the pattern I gleaned this texture from thought otherwise, we will agree to disagree.)
And the reverse has this lovely knobbly texture that I think will be great for scrubbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment